Monday, September 8, 2008

Atheists don't need to disprove religion if it can't prove itself

If I had to describe myself I would say I am religiously atheist.

As in, I devoutly don't believe in God. When I hear other people talk about God or religion or hint at any sort of spiritual belief I just want to sit down with them and have them explain to me what they mean.

Unfortunately, asking someone to explain their religious and spiritual beliefs is the equivalent of challenging the beliefs. I don't mean that I am asking the believer to ramble off phrases that someone else taught them, I mean asking them to describe WHY they PERSONALLY believe what they believe and what evidence they have to inform said beliefs.

Inevitably it comes down to two answers 1.) I feel it and 2.) I was told it.

Of course, neither of those reasons hold any water, just as a man can never walk on water.

But there is something wrong with my even claiming that a religion isn't accurate. Within the last year I've decided it isn't my job to question a religion or disprove it's stories (I.E. the Bible), not becuase I don't want to offend people, but because it is a waste of time.

The religious are the ones making claims. I'm not. The burden of proof falls on them. If they can't back up what they are saying, then I'm not going to waste my time disproving it.

Even though it sure is fun.


No comments: