Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Dead Girl


Every day I get off at the same bus stop on Harvard Avenue, walk down the same streets and think, basically, the same thoughts. But today something different happened.
At the same bus stop I always get off at I noticed a sign attached to a pole near the intersection of Cambridge Street and Harvard Avenue. The sign is a black and white style motif dedicated to someone named Kelly A. Wallace who was born in 1983 and died in 2007.
I snap a photo of the sign with my phone and decide to look up who she was. Turns out she was a local “scene” girl from Allston who was “friends with everyone”
according to a 2007 article in the Boston Phoenix.
Including friends with a kid named Eric Lipson, who I happened to eat lunch with everyday my senior year of High School.
The Phoenix quoted him in the article:
Kelly Wallace had a lot of friends. In the Merrimack Valley. In Somerville. In Allston. “Everyone knew her,” says pal Erik Lipson. “She had friends down in Florida, up in New Hampshire. In California. In Chicago.”

My bus stop, a High School friend, and a girl's death. Life's connections turn up in the strangest places.

No comments: